Technology Discussion Forum

2006 Tech Committee Planning

Picture of Christopher Fletcher
2006 Tech Committee Planning
by Christopher Fletcher - Monday, 13 March 2006, 10:22 AM

Below are a few topics I believe should be discussed by the tech committee.

1. Standardizing on one browser throughout the district.
    1. Explorer - Out of date
    2. Safari - Good, doesn't support all applications
    3. Firefox - Seems to work well with all applications
      1. Con - stores some passwords in preferences
  2. Universal username and password for staff and students
    1. One username and password for ease of use and simplicity
    2. To be stored in Powerschool
    3. Approximately 8 digits in length
      1. This length is compatible will all apps
      2. Contains letters & numbers
    4. To work applications stored internally and externally
      1. Powerschool
      2. File services (Xserve)
      3. E-mail - ?
      4. MyLearningPlan.com
      5. VPL
      6. Moodle
      7. Etc.
Picture of Lisa Baumgartner
Re: 2006 Tech Committee Planning
by Lisa Baumgartner - Monday, 13 March 2006, 1:06 PM

love the universal password idea
Picture of Mark Wilson
by Mark Wilson - Monday, 13 March 2006, 1:50 PM

I would like to see the sound systems we discussed for each of the classrooms. I also like the universal password. ^-)
Picture of Tad Hernandez
by Tad Hernandez - Monday, 13 March 2006, 2:45 PM

My only reservation about a "universal" if you will password, is if it is figured out by the student, then they have access to everything. The lack of protection of our passwords does concern me, ESPECIALLY for powergrade.

I would like to see it required to have a password to get into powergrade, so students can't just open a computer and change the grades.

Picture of Terry Hime
by Terry Hime - Tuesday, 14 March 2006, 12:18 PM

In my opinion, the universal username and password if fine. However, I do not like to limit the browsers that our students use. Some web sites work better on different browsers. In the real world, many of us switch browsers to accommodate various web sites. Our students need to be taught how to do this and not freak out when a web site doesn't come up properly. Unless they are filling out their FAFSA for college funding and then no browser will work on a Mac.
Picture of Gloria Meerpohl
by Gloria Meerpohl - Tuesday, 14 March 2006, 2:43 PM

Terry, Jenny has filled out the FAFSA on her Powerbook for all 4 years of her college.
I have had people come to my house also to use my Mac and they can get in on it just fine. I also have filled out information and it sometimes took 2 tries but not always.
I agree with Terry on not limiting the browsers.
Picture of Karen Ford
by Karen Ford - Wednesday, 15 March 2006, 6:49 AM

I agree with Gloria. We have had no problems filing the FAFSA on the MAC - I like using a variety of browsers also so I agree with Terry and Gloria and Tad on that one. Someone will need to explain universal password though and where it will be applied. There are some journalism files I would not like students to have access too - likewise, we need to be sure to protect the integrity of our Powerschool system.
Picture of Tad Hernandez
by Tad Hernandez - Tuesday, 14 March 2006, 10:04 PM

AMEN SISTER! It is wise to have multiple browsers....we do this on a daily basis in my classroom. Firefox, Safari, EXPLODER, and even some netscape.... I could say we have a default one and would lean toward safari being the default, but don't like the limiting idea.